Elliot Washor is Co-Director of the Big Picture Company
Bob Pearlman is the Director of Strategic Planning for the New Technology Foundation
Are you, your colleagues, and community designing a new secondary school, one that prepares today's kids for to be the citizens and knowledge workers of the twenty-first century? Here are the resources that Elliot Washor and Bob Pearlman shared with the participants at the Building Learning Communities 2003 Conference, one of the premier international conferences on school innovation. In an unusual development, the majority of particpants in these workshops were from the United Kingdom and Ohio!
1. Workshop Agenda, Design Specifications Graphic, Design Specifications Chart, and Design Exercise.
2.Designing the 21st Century Secondary Schools. Bob's PowerPoint presentation at the Building Learning Communities conference (note: this is a very large file, 6 MB-- download with a high speed connection).
3. New Small High Schools and Small Learning Communities. Includes key links and articles by Bob Pearlman on designing new secondary schools.
4. Articles by Elliot Washor on designing new secondary schools. Newly assembled here for the first time!
5. The Big Picture Company web site. The Big Picture Company is the designer of the MET.
6. The New Tech High Learning System. The NTHS Learning System comprises the school's curriculum, standards, assessment tools, and reporting tools, all online on a common technology platform.
7. Bob's article on "The Role of Technology and Facilities in Redesigning the American High School" (PDF), Winter 2002.
Also see the Preconference
session page on Alan November's web site and bios of Bob
Pearlman, Director of Strategic Planning, New Technology Foundation, and
Co-Director of the Big Picture Company.