1. Designing New Learning Environments to Support 21st Century Skills (PDF, downloadable), chapter by Bob Pearlman, in the new book, 21st Century Skills: Rethinking How Students Learn
Cyber Summit Webinar, September 21, 2010: From Students to Learners: New Learning Environments for 21st Century Learners, [Powerpoint 2000 file, 1.4 MB].
New Learning Environments for 21st Century Learners , [Powerpoint 2000 file, 2.6 MB], presentation at the 2009 T+L Conference, Denver, October 28-30, 2009
- Designshare - Designing for the Future of Learning
- Elliot Washor, Innovative Pedagogy and School Facilities
- Kenn Fisher, Linking Pedagogy and Space
- Gensler design firm. (2009). Brief, design, and prototype: South Maidstone Academies, Kent, UK
- Fielding-Nair International
- Stephen Heppell, Learning Spaces and Places
- Architects of Achievement
- "The Immersive LearningScape--Knowledge Transposed: Learning Globally, Applying Locally", By Tomas Jimenez-Eliaeson, Educational Facility Planner/ Volume 45: Issues 1&2, 2011. Also see the Immersive LearningScape Survey, presented at the Council of Educational Facility Planners International (CEFPI) Annual World Conference, September 2010.
- The Classroom Is Obsolete: It's Time for Something New, By Prakash Nair, Education Week Commentary, July 29, 2011
Students Designing Their Learning?, By Gareth Long, Educational Facility Planner, January 2012. The Power of Students Voice in Connecting Learning to the Design of the Physical Environment, presentation at CEFPI 2011 by Gareth Long and Alison Watson.
The Language of School Design: Design Patterns for 21st Century Schools,
by Prakash Nair, Randall Fielding and Dr. Jeffery Lackney
The Third Teacher: 79 Ways You Can Use Design to Transform Teaching & Learning
by OWP/P Cannon Design, VS Furniture, Bruce Mau Design
Architecture for Achievement: Building Patterns for Small School Learning, by Victoria Bergsagel and David Stephen
- Manor New Technology High School (Manor, Texas) -- "What is Manor New Tech?" video -- In their own words, Manor New Tech (Manor, TX) students explain what MNTHS is to them. This video features footage of what is happening on campus every day. Also "How we work @ Manor New Tech" video. See also Manor New Tech Youtube Video Channel and Manor New Tech's Digital Dojo.
- Columbus Signature Academy (Columbus, Indiana) -- See Episode 3 video. Also see Completion of Phase 2 of Columbus Signature Academy (December, 2010).
- New Tech @ Coppell (Coppell, TX) -- See Real Projects, Real World, Real Learning video.
- The Met (Providence, RI) -- See the Big Picture Learning youtube channel. See especially Student describes his experience and skills gained at his LTI and Makala's Advisory.
- High Tech High (San Diego, CA) -- See 21st Century Skills Culture at High Tech High video.
- New Line Learning Academy (Maidstone, Kent, England) -- Welcome to New Line Learning video. See also Cornwallis Academy Learning Plaza, Kent, England.
7. Extended Learning Spaces
Cafeteria as Extended Learning Space at New Tech @ Coppell (Coppell, TX) -- Cafeteria is like a drop-in cafe, serving as another extended learning space and workspace for Learner teams, and especially playing a role when business people visit the school and meet with students or do brown-bag lunches with them.
8. Contact Info for schools profiled in Designing New Learning Environments for 21st Century Skills article
Columbus Signature Academy, 2205 25th Street, Columbus, Indiana 47201
Mike Reed, Principal, Columbus Signature Academy, 812-376-4595, email@example.com
John E. Rigsbee, CSO Architects, 317-706-2507, firstname.lastname@example.org
New Tech High @ Coppell, 113 Samuel Blvd. Coppell, TX 75019
Tabitha Branum. Director, 214-496-5910, email@example.com
The Met, 325 Public Street, Providence, RI 02905
Elliot Washor, Co-director, Big Picture Learning, 401-374-4664, firstname.lastname@example.org
High Tech High, 2861 Womble Road, San Diego, CA 92106-6025
Larry Rosenstock, Chief Executive Officer, 619-243-5000, email@example.com
David Stephen, M. Ed. / Architect, New Vista Design, 617-477-4660, firstname.lastname@example.org
New Line Learning Academy, Boughton Lane, Maidstone, Kent, ME15 9QL, UK
Chris Gerry, Executive Principal, 01622 743286, email@example.com
Philip Gillard, Gensler, +44 (0)20 7073 9935, firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Other Innovative 21st Century Schools and Learning Environments
Wooranna Park Primary School, Melbourne, Australia
10. Articles by Bob Pearlman on 21st Century Schools and 21st Century Learning:
- Making 21st Century Schools: Creating Learner-Centered Schoolplaces/Workplaces for a New Culture of Students at Work, by Bob Pearlman, EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY/September-October 2009
- Reconsidering the Design of Schools through the Lens of Project-Based Learning - Interview with Bob Pearlman, the Director of Strategic Planning for the New Technology Foundation, DesignShare and Education Facility Planning News, March, 2007
- "21st Century Learning in Schools – A Case Study of New Technology High School in Napa, CA", published in New Directions for Youth Development, Volume 2006, Issue 110 (Summer 2006), Special Issue: The Case for Twenty-First Century Learning.
- "New Skills For A New Century: Project-based learning teaches kids the collaborative and critical thinking abilities they'll need to compete", Edutopia magazine, June 2006.
- "Redesign Schools for 21st Century Learning", Published in Five Riveting Ideas, EDTECH Focus on K-12 magazine, January-February, 2005
- "Getting it Done: Boston launches new 5-year technology, teaching & learning plan. Why not you?", article in Techlearning.Com, August 1, 2004
- "Designing, and Making, the New American High School", Technos Quarterly, Spring, 2002
- "Reinventing the High School Experience", Educational Leadership, April 2002
- "Designing the New American Schools", PDF, Communications of the ACM, May, 1993